Our little pickle

Here is our birth story....the not so short short version
 
On March 13th at 11:40am I went into labour with contractions starting at 5mins a part. By the time Mr. P made it home and we drove into the city they were at 3pm they were 3 mins apart. Once we were checked in and put into the admissions room my contractions were already 2 mins apart and with in the next 30 mins they moved to 1mins apart and my water broke while Mr.P was out moving the car into the hospital parking lot. By the time the Dr came to see how far along I was the contractions were 30seconds apart and they moved me into the delivery room.
 Although we initially planed on a natural birth since I was only 4cm dilated and the contractions were coming too close together I opted for an epidural. The dr was one step ahead of me and was already waiting for me. However, it took a little more time than I would have liked to get the drugs since the hospital was still working on my paper work. Things were going a little too fast and I was already in the delivery room before I was fully admitted.
 
For the next 6 hours our little one pushed up against my pelvis trying to get out, but my body wasn't dilating fast enough. By 11:20 pm things began to take a turn for the worse and I developed a high fever and the babies heart rate jumped to 200bpm. At that time I was only 7cm dilated and the doctor thought things were getting too risky for me and the baby so they had to do an emergency C-section.
 
Although they moved very quickly and by 11:30 I was already being taken to the OR my body was going through shock. The fact that my panic attacks started at the moment my legs started to go numb too made things pretty awful. I was shaking, couldn't get warm, delirious and on top of all of that puking. For the whole procedure I was vomiting and shaking so badly that the dr kept saying he was sorry there was nothing more they could do for me. So needless to say it wasn't the magical experience that I was hoping for. I thought if things got to that point I would still be okay and holding Mr.P's hand waiting for the medical team to bring our little one into the world. Not moaning and trying my best not to puke. I couldn't even look to the right were Mr.P was or I would puke all over the place so I just had to close my eyes and well....cry. It felt like the worst hangover of my life while freezing outside.
 
At 11:53pm they pulled the baby from me and we didn't hear the typical cry you see in the movies or hear about and I thought something was wrong. However, moments later a little squeak came from the back of the OR and the nurse came over to tell us we had a healthy little girl.
 
At that point I said(Mr.P said I yelled) no no no you are wrong we are supposed to be having a boy. To that the nurse said...Nope its a girl. They brought our daughter over to Mr. P and I was still so out of it I couldn't even turn my head in his direction to look at her. It was such a horrible feeling and experience. Although I this was supposed to be the best moment of my life I felt like my little boy had died. Mix that feeling with the mystery infection my body was fighting along with my body being in shock and well surgery like I said before it wasn't the magical experience I had thought it would be.
 A good 45 mins later they took me to the recovery room and finally I was able to ask Mr.P to show me the baby, and she was just perfect.
The hours, days and weeks that followed her birth did not go as planed either, but more on that later. Both mommy, daddy and baby are doing well despite all that happened
 
Nonetheless, although things didn't go as planed she is truly a blessing from God and we both love her dearly
 
 
Here is our little pickle at her one month birthday
 
 
 


Comments

  1. Congratulations! she is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't have the experience you so wanted, but so glad you are all doing well. What a beautiful little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it wasn't all that you expected. Your baby girl is beautiful. I bet the three of you have already a ton of good memories to replace those of labour and delivery. The thing with babies- they are NEVER who or what your expected. Life onward is going to be full of surprises as she puts her own stamp on the world around her. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little Miss is adorably beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness that's an ordeal to go through! I'm so happy to hear it all worked out - And a wee little girl will be so much fun!! :) Congrats to you both!! Snuggle her for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful little Pickle!!! My two experiences weren't as planned either. I don't know if anyone's experience is how they thought it would be. Congratulations!!! She is absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, your little pickle is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!!
    So sorry to read about your unexpected ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I read that you had a healthy baby girl I thought to myself "she was having a boy!!!" Personally, my birth story reads nothing like I thought it would either. Your little pickle is so precious! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is beautiful. Nothing else matters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your 'Lil Pickle' (oh no I might just call her Lil, LOL) is BEAUTIFUL! I think you will be amazed at how quickly the not so pleasant birth is replaced with wonderful coos and giggles and smiles! Enjoy each one and kiss those baby toes for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI!!!! Congrats!!!!! She is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's all worth it to have that perfect little darling. I'm sorry that it wasn't the dream delivery for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations. She is a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Haley, she is adorable. However she got here, she's perfect. Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear things didn't go well on the day.
    But she's beautiful! Hope you're enjoying motherhood and well on the mend after the delivery

    ReplyDelete
  16. She's adorable and I know she is one lucky little lady to have you guys as parents. Here's to a speedy recovery for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my what a way to enter the world. I'm so sorry that the experience was so rough for you but as one who also dreamed for years of what it would all be like and then reality was the total opposite I know in my heart that becoming a Mom was the most important thing, not how it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is adorable! It sounds like you have already learned the biggest lesson of being a parent - "It doesn't always go as planned, but it is pretty darn great when you get over the shock".

    ReplyDelete
  19. she is a beautiful baby...welllll all the best with your new life...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)

Popular Posts