Friday, 14 November 2014

Use it or Lose it


I am going start up my Use it or Lose it posts again. I did this a couple of years ago and it seemed to put a little dent in my harvests.

What am I talking about you ask….Well let me tell you. I try to preserve/freeze as much of my garden harvests as I can. However, I have a bad habit of forgetting to actually use everything.
 I am also doing this in the hopes to become less wasteful and lose less to the garbage.
Well that is it about it…..
Use it or lose it..lol

I am starting off with an easy one….today I am USING onions

I had a pretty nice onion crop this year. We planted Spanish onion sets and out of the 100 planted I got about 75 onions so a pretty good crop.
Last year my onions all went moldy within a month of bringing them in the house. I think it was too humid downstairs for them. (we have a cistern and i kept them in the same room as it) This year I am keeping them in the porch...so fingers crossed they keep better

I made Lentil Soup from the Hormone Diet Book.


 However, I am sure posting the recipe is a no no….

Nontheless, this one is pretty similar

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Lentil-Soup-Iii-Allrecipes 

From the about to lose it group

I used up 3 pears and 2 bananas that were all over ripe. They were turned into baby food!

This week no food went to waste and all leftovers were eaten or frozen

Till Next week




4 comments:

  1. I wanted to tell you it is so nice to see you back. And glad you started this one - I don't garden, but I use the same theory with what is in the house so more is used than tossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I had to toss some pineapple that was pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten about. I'm much better about eating things from the garden though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when I have to discard something that is beyond saving. This is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm. Lentil Soup. Know what I'm making later this week ☺

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)