Saturday, 30 July 2011

The fruits and veggies of my labours

I was busy last night making soup, Saskatoon Berry sundae toppings and jam...not in the same pot, but you get what I mean.

With the cabbage almost at their breaking point I figured I better start doing something with the one I picked or I was going to be out of refrigerator room in no time. Is it bad that I want or rather need another fridge to hold everything from the garden. Its too bad that you cannot freeze lettuce cause boy does it take up room and I don't have any room to spare as it is..lol

I decided to make up a big ole pot of cabbage soup. In the end I think it needed more cabbage not sure why I was so stingy with it considering the statement made above!

I am going to take the other half of the head to my parents along with some of that lettuce. I would have liked to use more fresh ingredients, but since nothing else is ready I had to make do with canned tomatoes and frozen carrots from last year.

I also made up some Saskatoon Berry Sundae Topping. Its basically a sweeter version of my pie filling, but who wants to put pie filling on a sundae! So I changed its name..sneaky sneaky hey..lol I also added Swiss Kirsch to it so it should be even better!
I bought some freezer jam jars yesterday. I had heard some good things about it lately so I figured what the heck I've made just about everything else in the preserving book lets give that a try. It was really really easy. Almost too easy. Why haven't I tried doing this before!! I don't like jam, but I sampled a little bit and even I thought it was pretty darn good.
The only downsides were that when I went to put the lids on my jars I noticed that they were cracked!! Good thing I bought 2 packs of five or I would have been SOL!  And that it said there would be enough for 5 jars and I got 4 and and half.
 
 

On the downside this morning I noticed some wee little worms in the berries. I am pretty anal about checking the berries all individually for just that reason. The berries look perfect from the outside and then when I was mashing them up I noticed something white. So now I am worried that the worms are in all the Saskatoon Berry products I made this year :( I was ready to throw everything out, but the hubby and his mom both said not to. So now I am not sure what to do.

2 comments:

  1. I was canning pie cherries one year, and had pitted enough for a full canner of quarts. I had the cherries in the jars, and as I poured the hot syrup over them, the little worms came floating to the top. I ended up throwing them all away. So much work to pick and pit them, so much $$ out the window with all that sugar. I think I just sat down and cried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie's Granny. It's just heart breaking to do all the work for nothing. I cried too. I didn't notice any worms when I was making the other stuff so fingers crossed everything is okay. The hubby said its just protein and its cooked so he doesn't care...crazy farmer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)