Tuesdays Feast

I have insomnia so most nights while I am laying in bed I try to plan out the next day meal. It doesn't always work out cause sometimes I don't remember the plan the next morning..lol Last night I was going through what was in the fridge that needed to be eaten right away. The first thing that popped into my mind was the Portobello mushrooms, next was the lettuce I picked yesterday. The problem for me is that I can either think of a great protein to make and not a veg or vice versa and to be honest sometimes I forget the veggies all together....don't tell my garden!! I decided that if the weather was not to hot I would make ribs. luckily its not 30+ inside the house..yet! In our home lunch is the big meal of the day so at least the house will have time too cool off after i cook the ribs!

Starter
Grilled Portobello mushrooms with cheese and casalingo salami (adapted from "Canada grills by Char Broil)

Ingredients
2 portobello mushrooms wiped clean and de stemed
1 tsp butter
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded ementhal cheese
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
5 slices of Casalingo Salami

Clean and de stem the mushrooms and place in an oiled veggie grill basket

Place 1/2tsp of butter into the centre of each mushroom. Top with cheeses and sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of Italian seasoning on each mushroom. Top with salami.


Place basket on grill and leave at medium heat for 15-20mins or until cheese is fully melted.
finished product


Salad- My mother-in-law makes this salad dressing that my husband aways wants me to make but no one will tell me how to make it..this is as close as I can get it based on what I think I taste..lol

Fresh mixed lettuce greens with creamy balsamic vinaigrette

Ingredients
4 cups of fresh mixed greens washed and broken into bite size pieces
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp mayo
1 tsp coarse German mustard
1tbsp maple syrup
3/4c extra virgin oil oil
salt and pepper to taste

Using a hand blender mix the vinegar, mayo, mustard, syrup until well blended. Slowly pour the oil in while mixing until oil is fully incorporated. Spoon desired amount onto of each bowl of salad.

Main- I found this idea in the cookbook listed below. I cooked the ribs using my own recipe and then flowed the glaze found in the cookbook.

Maple Glazed Grilled Ribs (adapted from Taste of Home "grill it" cookbook)

Ingredients

3lbs of back or side ribs seasoned
1c maple syrup
3 tbsp orange juice
3 tbsp ketchup
2tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp mild curry powder
1 clove garlic minced

Preheat oven to 275F

Cut 2 pieces of  aluminum foil large enough to fit the entire length of the rib rack. Lay one rack on each piece of foil. Season meat with your favourite seasonings. (I used garlic powder, msg free seasoning salt and a Swiss product called grill mix) Fold each side of the foil over the rack and then fold the end pieces over. Place on cookie sheet seam side up. Repeat steps for the second rack. Place cooking sheet in over and cook for 2 hours.
Rib out of the oven after 2 hours


While ribs are cooking you can start to prepare the maple glaze. Mix the next 8 ingredients in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Cover and leave sit until ribs are on the BBQ.

ribs and mushrooms grilling away
When the ribs are done remove them from the oven and put on your medium heat preheated grill. Sear each side of the rack to seal in the juices and then baste with the maple glaze. Continue to cook for another 20-30mins on low heat basting every time you turn the ribs.

finished rack...yummy!!
And so there ya go that is the yummy feast we had today. However, there was one hitch..lol My memory is not so good these days and I totally forgot to make a starch!! My husband always has to have a starch of some kind with his meal so when I told him to bring in the ribs for me he asked "wheres the starch" to which I replied "@#$%$##@ i forgot" lol. I ended up doing up some pasta with butter and Italian season...so lunch was a success albeit a little late..lol

Comments

Popular Posts