Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Preserving Tuesday

First off Happy Anniversary to my amazing husband! It seems like I should still be planning for the wedding and here it is 3 years later. Good thing I planted a smaller garden back then or might not have been able to show up for the wedding!

This week was another slow week for canning. I lost my motivation somewhere and cannot seem to find it! Also only having one burner to can with....sucks...lol Oh well my list of things to preserve is getting smaller so I am happy with that.

On the 9th I made a batch of canned whole tomatoes in tomato juice. I think they turned out pretty good. One jar didn’t seal, but I will use it this month so that wasn’t too bad. The only thing I hate about canning them in tomato juice is that you have to process them for 90mins...too long for me; however, I prefer them this way than using just water.

On the 11th I made another batch of salsa. I only got 8 500ml this time and half a 250ml. I felt like I had more tomatoes this time and ended up with less jars than the time before. Sometimes canning makes me think too much!

Last night I made crab apple butter for the 1st time ever. The recipe said to leave the seeds in and then after cooking just puree in a food processor. The whole time they were cooking I was thinking...is this going to be full of seed and taste like crapapple butter instead...lol I processed 1 scoop and figured I wasn’t going to be happy with that. So I brought out the food mill. It worked great! It kept out the seeds and skins and left me with wonderful puree. After I added the rest of the ingredients and gave it a taste and guess what it was pretty darn amazing. Tasted like apple pie in a jar. I don`t even like apple pie and still thought it was good.

Let’s see what is left on my list of things to make
Tomato sauce- I think I may just make my usual tomato sauce and freeze. I don`t see why that wouldn`t be okay. If it is a no no please let me know!
Crabapple fruit- I have a lot of crabapples so I may give this a try. I may just freeze some apples too.
Roasted Cherry tomatoes
Peach Zucchini jam
 That is about all I can think of right now I am sure there will be more later...oh no!!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 3rd Anniversary! We just had our 3rd one too!

    It looks like you have been one busy canner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you take those rings off , then you will know if your jars are really sealed and what a bounty you will have...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin- Thank you and a belated congrats to you!

    Gingerbreadhouse7-i always leave my ring on! I had no idea you could or should take them off...lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)