Thank you and some gardening plans


Thank you to everyone that stopped by for my day on the In Your Words Blog Hop!
Today's hosts are:
Wednesday, January 9
Kathy's Quilts (Kathy W.)
Sunshine Quilting (Martina S.)
Doodling in My Mind (Darla R.)
Grammie Q's (Charlotte M.)
Dancing Moon (Carla B.) 
The Fuzzy Hat Quilter (Laura Ann)
Click the button in my sidebar for the full schedule

*******************************************************************************



Well it has been a busy couple of weeks with Christmas, New Years,  The Quilting Secrets Blog hop that I hosted and finally yesterday was the In Your Words hop. I think I need a few wobbly pops and some time with my feet up relaxing in front of the TV..lol

I really feel like I have really neglected my gardening side for a while. It’s just so hard to get into the gardening spirit when the garden is covered in snow!!

I am going to be starting a few of my seeds next month...maybe so I figured I better starting planning!

For the most part I am going to keep the garden the same. I think I am finally at that point where I know what I need for a successful growing season in my mind and now I just need to fine tune it...maybe...lol

This is my list of what I am going to be planting..It may change but this is what I would like to grow (#of days till maturity)

Broad Beans- Broad Windsor (65days) - I grew these last year and they were Lovely!!
Edamame- Besweet (85days) - I tried these last year and they didn’t have time to ripen. I will start indoors
Beet-Detroit red (60) my favourite beet
Beet- Touchstone Gold (55) Last year was the first time I grew these and fell in love!
Broccoli- Goliath Hybrid (76) not sure if I will start indoors or not. Last year the seedlings and direct sown matured at the same time.
Brussels Sprouts- Catskill Improved (76) Last year these didn’t produce, going to start them a month earlier indoors and see what happens
Cabbage- Stonehead (67) - very successful in 2012. Will plant more for sauerkraut this year
Pak Choi- will try again since I love it, but looking for new variety
Cantaloupes- Earlisweet hybrid (68) I will make room for these this year as they always get left out
Carrots- Rainbow Hybrid (70) loved the look and taste of these last year so they will be my only carrot this year
Cauliflower- Snow Crown Hybrid (48) always a success
Cucumbers- National pickling (54) my only choice when it comes to cucumbers so yummy
Eggplant- Epic Hybrid (61) Will try again they grew well but the early frost took them out
Kohlrabi- Early White Vienna (55) last year wasn’t a good year for kohlrabi, but I will try again
Leeks- Large Musselburg (90) I haven’t had a successful year growing leeks yet, but I am trying again! Will start indoors again
Lettuce- Bon Vivant (30) my favourite go to lettuce
Onions- sets red/white (110) since we ran out of onions within a month plant more next year
Peas- Little Marvel (65) my favourite, might try another variety
Peppers- Not sure which ones yet
Potato- Norland (90) last year they were a success where the others failed so it will be my only potato this year
Radish- Easter Egg Blend (25) my favourite
Spinach- Tyee Hybrid (42) another favourite
Butternut Squash (82) these didn’t take last year. Will start indoors this year
Squash-Spaghetti (70) frost took them in 2012 will try again this year
Tomato- Roma- Not sure which variety of roma, depends on what the greenhouse is selling
Tomato- early girl loved having fresh tomaotes though out the whole summer
Tomato-cherry last years plants were "unkown" but yummy
Zucchini- Black beauty (60) always a success

That is my list so far. I am still toying with whether or not to plant pumpkins and sweet potatoes, but for the most part I think the above list is set in stone.
Have a great day

Comments

  1. I`m going to start early girls pretty soon. My neighbor gives me heirloom tomatoes she starts and there`s another I grow that`s bred for our hot summers. Depending on frost, I plant my tomatoes in March. With this crazy weather, all that is subject to change. I know we`ll do peppers and cantaloupe, maybe small watermelons. Haven`t made up my mind on the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a tasty garden, interspersed with some weeds I wouldn't touch with a barge poll. Yes, brussel sprouts, I'm looking at you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it totally sad that I will be happy just to get strawberries and tomatoes planted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally have a small planting bed so I'll be trying some of your suggestions this year. Question...do you use seeds or seedlings? And I used to plant Juliet grape tomatoes and they are fabulous. They are a bit bigger than typical grape tomatoes but a bit sweeter. If you can find them you might want to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)

Popular Posts