Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Preserving Tuesday


With all the cucumbers I have been harvesting I am sure that you can all guess what I have been doing....Pickling my ass off.

Last week I attempted to make cucumber relish for the first time. It looks okay, but it says that I cannot open it for two weeks. I hope it tastes good since I made another batch last night. I sampled some leftovers in the pot...tasted pretty darn good to me. However, this time I added more cucumbers and still only ended up with 5 500ml jars. I guess when they say about 6 they mean we really don’t know..lol
1st attempt at cucumber relish Aug 19th

Last night I also made some dill slices. This is another first for me. I could never find cheesecloth so I was very happy to make my first ever spice bag!

I tasted the brine when I was done filling the jar. It was pretty strong. Not sure how they are going to end up, but still worth a try.

Dill slices on the left and cucumber relish on the right. Made august 22nd
Tomorrow night I think I might try Zesty bread n butter pickles. I also want to try to make crab apple jelly and butter this week. However, we’ll see if that happens or not.


2 comments:

  1. So, you pickled your ass off uh! what are you sitting
    on? your face :o) LoL I couldn't resist that one :o) Granny made me say it :o)
    Those jars look good, and show your working , what did you make your spice bag out of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gingerbreadhouse7- well my ass was big enough that i still have a bit to sit on...lol I just had pickling spice inside of my cheesecloth spice bag.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)