Use it or Lose it


I am going to start a little something on my blog that I am going to call Use it or lose it. Once a week I am going to try and use something from my cold room or the freezer that I stored away for the winter. I am really bad at growing all these yummy fruit and veggies, processing them and then not using them enough in the winter months. Well today that stops.

 In addition to that I do feel like we waste quite a bit of purchased food. So I am going to try and get better at that and hold myself accountable. My use it or lose it posts will happen on random days and it might not always be about using up food!

I won’t be holding a linky party, but if anyone wants to join along feel free to do so and let me know. I will add your name in my post so people can see what you are up to too!

Used it
Last week we were only home for 2 days, but I was still able to use a few things from the cold room/freezer. I used 5 potatoes, 1 onion, 1 6oz package of spinach, 2 beef steaks (our own) and 1 1L jar of whole tomatoes.

The potatoes and ¼ of the onion were turned into garlic mash. Forgot to take a picture

The remainder of the onion, spinach and tomatoes were used to make a tomato sauce which accompanied our steak. (We also had store bough corn on the cob for those thinking there is a lack of veggies on this plate...lol)
note to self take better pictures....LOL

Lost it
1 whole pineapple went bad in a couple of days.

Next week’s game plan
From the freezer - I would like to use at least 4 different frozen veggies. Right now I have at least 20bags each of carrots, green beans, spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower. In addition to that I have about 10 bags of broad beans. So as you can see we better start eating these!
From the cold room- I would like to see 2 jars of the veggies used and 4 jars of the fruits. Using up my jams and other fruits is the hard part. I think I will try to use them in some desserts.
From other things that need to get used asap this week
Bananas
Asparagus
Corn on the cob
Buns


Comments

  1. That is a practical plan. I don't put up produce, but February has always been the "cleanout' month. Use only what is in the fridge, freezer and pantry. The only store run is bread and milk. At the end of the month, the left cans and non-parishables get donated to the local food pantry. Cabinets, fridge,frezer, shelves all get a good cleaning and wipe down before the new shopping comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea -- there is another blogger that I follow that is doing something similar with fabric. She is keeping track of all the older fabrics that she is purging along with the UFO projects that she is completing. I wish I were lucky enough to have a freezer that I could stock pile food in or the ability to put of fresh veggies but the townhouse just doesn't have the room what makes it even harder is I grew up on farm foods.

    This week I have currently used up the remainder of a rotisery chicken in 3 different ways (chicken salad, chicken and rice soup and borritos). I need to use up some apples, deli cheese, lunch meat and lb of sausage. I did have a banana and some left over gravy get tossed yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel, there is at times too much waste from our fridge too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I'm trying to reduce the waste out of my kitchen too. I buy fruit and veg on the weekend but then don't cook/eat enough of it through the week then need to chuck it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)

Popular Posts