The story of how Mrs.Pickles came to be

My last name is not Pickles which is good cause if it was it would have made for a pretty short story.

Three years ago I made fridge pickles for the first time and the hubby LOVED them. Therefore, the next year he was devastated when a hail storm took out the cucumbers. It was about mid season and it seemed like all the hail just hit that one spot. Since it was already mid July it was too late to plant new and the greenhouses had stopped selling plants. So we went a whole winter without pickles. To makes sure we had enough the following year I planted 6 rows of cucumbers. Yeah you read right six 30 foot rows of cucumbers. I don't know what I was thinking. We had enough cucumbers for a grocery store and then some. I was bringing them into the house 3 large black garbage bags at a time. I weighed a few bags and they were 80+lbs Obviously there were just to many for me to keep up. I tried to give away as many as I could, but by the end of their growing season a lot just went to waste. I ended up with 100 1L jars of pickles and there is just the 2 of us.
Every time me parents called last summer I was making pickles so my Dad started calling me "Mrs.Pickles". He even went so far as to make me a lovely wooden sign for Christmas showing Mrs.Pickles Garden. So when I decided to write a blog about my garden the name was a no brainer.


So there you go. This year I did not make the same mistake. Only 2 rows and only half of each row took this year so we should be good!

Comments

  1. What a delightful story, and what a fabulous wooden sign! Sigh, I could almost be called Mrs. Tomato. I was smarter this year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie's Granny. Thank you. I think we are all mrs somethingarathers in the garden at least once every few years.Good thing we learn from our mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered where the name came from :o)...thanks for sharing ...I was like granny made the same mistake with tomato's , I didn't know any better and I didnt get the crop of tomato's I was expecting..:o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gingerbreadhouse7- Thanks for stopping by :)Its nice to know I am not the only one that has over planted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story. I've enjoyed reading your blog, you have a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. rmgales- Thank you. I am glad you enjoy the blog and thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I laughed so hard when I read this. Too funny. You have enough pickles to feed the Canadian army. That's a lovely sign too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas- I'm happy to hear my story made you laugh. I still laugh when I think about last year! I should have taken the cucumbers to the local military base and ran...lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)

Popular Posts