Thursdays Kitchen Cupboard 23/08/2012

Today's hosts on the Bowls hop are
*************************************************


This past week has been another one where we spent most of our time in the city going to Doctor Appointments. It fine that we have to go to so many appointments, but it really interferes with cooking at home and getting anything done in the garden.

I did end up getting a bit preserved so I am linking up with Thursdays Kitchen Cupboard hosted by Robin, The Gardener of Eden.

On Friday I made a huge batch of borsht for my dad’s birthday. I ate a couple of bowls and saved a 1L jar for myself the rest went to him. I didn't take a picture of its on its own so you will have to look past the veggies to see it!

On Saturday our cabbages were exploding so I had to bring in as many as I could. I have 3 sitting in the fridge, sent one to my parents and used 1 and a half to make 3 more jars of sauerkraut.

On Saturday I also sliced up some cucumbers to make one more batch of fridge pickles. I thought we were running low until I actually looked in the fridge and found 9 1L jars....OH MY. I am not going to be making any more fridge pickles this year for sure! I didn't take a picture but they were yummy :)

I still have quite a bit that need to be preserved ASAP. Spinach, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Green Beans, Broad beans, Cabbage, and Cucumbers are all ready and need something to be done with them.

Does anyone have any good cabbage recipes they would like the share?

Have a great day

Comments

  1. looks good!!!! I pickled some beets yesterday; and my do some mustard pickles tomorrow..garden is coming to an end....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I don't have any cabbage recipes. I just steam mine or make a simple slaw (vinegar, sugar) from mine. You might look on allrecipes.com, though. Its a great site with lots of reviews under each recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coleslaw is all I know.
    My mom made some great stuff from cabbage, but it was all that heavy stuff for the dead of winter. That wouldn't be good this time of year.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my first batch of sauerkraut in the canner right now, finally! It passed the taste test a couple of days ago, so I'm finally getting it off of my kitchen counter. I'll be using future heads for more sauerkraut, except for what we eat fresh in coleslaw or use in soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, pickles... :)
    Great harvest again. No ideas on the cabbage except maybe to chop it up with some of the other veg and put it away in the freezer as ready prepared stir fry veg mix. Or do you have to flash freeze cabbage, I'm not sure

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to check on my sauerkraut! It should be just about ready.

    It looks like you managed to get quite a bit done this week! Lookin good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I fell in love with you cauliflower but now I'm falling in love with your broccoli! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're going to miss our kraut this year. Yours looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love homemade sauerkraut! I've got a red cabbage I'm going to use to make Sweet and Sour Cabbage tonight for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I had plenty of refrigerator pickles this year, but I've eaten so many. I've been ignoring the pickled peas this year. I think for the bbq this weekend I'm bringing the last of the pickled peas for people to eat up. I'll keep the cukes for myself. Most years it is the other way around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)

Popular Posts