Thursdays Kitchen Cupboard.


Todays hosts for the Bowls with Borders Hop are
**********************************************************************************

Sorry I haven’t been posting much this week. I ended up having 3 doctors’ appointments in 24hours and now I am just too tired to think let alone type. I did have a WIP post ready for yesterday and last Wednesday and the Wednesday before that, but I never ended up getting anything done to post about...Oh well. I am going to try and do some catch up sewing today.

There was a tiny bit going on in my Kitchen in the past week. So I am linking up with Thursdays Kitchen Cupboard hosted by the Garden of Eden.

On Monday I shredded up all but two zucchini. This is what I got from the big 4 pounder


I then divided everything into 2 or 4 cup bags vacuumed sealed them and put them in the freezer. I ended up with 5 bags. These will be used for cake, muffins and fried zucchini patties...YUM

I also had enough cucumbers to make my first patch of fridge pickles. I ended up only getting 2 jars, but that is better than zero. I must say I am really missing my HUGE cucumber patch this year. This time last year I was harvesting 20+ pounds a day of fresh cucumbers and this year it’s more like 1 pound every couple of days...lol Oh well most of them ended up going to waste so less is likely better.


If you are thinking WHERE ARE THE PICKLES in the top two....well there are not any...LOL I had that much extra brine left over. I usually throw it out, but I thought I would keep it and add it to the next batch or just use it to pickle some fresh veggies quickly for supper.

A few people asked me for my cabbage soup recipe last week so here it is. I really just add whatever and cook it till I like the taste....but this should get you there.

Cabbage Soup

1Tbsp butter
1Tbsp olive oil
1 head of cabbage, chopped 
1med onion, chopped
4 cups of stock
2C of green beans,
chopped 2c carrots, chopped
2 jars of whole or diced tomatoes with liquid
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot heat oil and butter. Add onions and cook till soft. Add half the cabbage and cook until slightly wilted or about 5 mins. Add Stock and simmer for 10mins. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20mins.
It is always better the second day and freezes great.


Comments

  1. I totally forgot about my zucchini in the fridge. I ought to shred and freeze that monster. It does make good bread, but it isn't good for much else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zucchini bread and used to make it all the time from the zucchini's I got from my sister. Your shredded ones look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby loves a good batch of zuchinni bread. I like the idea of saving the extra brine---why waste it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just shreded some zucchini this AM that's sitting in the sink sweating. I'm making Greek zucchini fritters with tsatziki sauce for dinner. That's a lot of zucchini you have! LOL! It will make for yummy bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't thought of freezing grated zucchini. I really should. Of course, I need to get a new food processor first, since mine broke. Mmm, zucchini fritters. Maybe my monster zucchini wants to become fritters instead of lasagne - good idea, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a monster zucchini that needs shredding and freezing. I think I'll be able to get to it tomorrow.

    The cabbage soup sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

  7. Holly- never thought of dipping my zucchini fritters in tsatziki what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)

Popular Posts