Sewing Saturday




Friday Night Sew In
Handmade by Heidi

As I mentioned yesterday last night was my first time participating in Friday night sew in and true to form things didn’t exactly go as planned.

I got a late start at 7pm which turned into 8pm because Mr. Pickles and I couldn’t get the Accuquilt Go! to work properly. I had bought my mother the 5”square die for Christmas and then stole it and the machine so I could cut some 5” blocks for my table runner. However, no matter how careful we were or how many layers we used the blocks would always come out to 5 x 4.78. That was okay for my table runner project since it called for the 5” squared to be trimmed down to 4.78, however it was maddening that we couldn’t get it to do what we wanted it to do. So that took an hour out of my sewing time.

So first I worked on my table runner. It called for 26 coloured 5” squared and 18 cream 5” squares. I had bought a charm pack from connecting threads for the project so I had that ready and after we gave up with the wonky GO! I had the right number of cream coloured squares too. The tedious part was then cutting all those 5” square into 4.78.

After that I had to sew my blocks together in pairs to get a whole bunch of Half Square triangles.


After cutting them all up I pressed them and then had to sew them into pairs.  And long story short this is everything sewed together just waiting to be assembled into a table runner.


Not all of my points match, but I am okay with that...LOL

I also worked on the Sew Happy QAL blocks. However, I shouldn’t have done it when I was tired since I ended up using the wrong fabric and I don’t think my blocks were measured right. Last night I was pretty proud of it and this morning I ripped it in half since the seams were horrible off...lol So it is still incomplete in the this picture, but I didn’t feel up to sewing this morning so it is still not done!

All in all I don’t think that I did too bad sewing wise last night. I got quite a bit done in only 2.5hrs of sewing. I didn’t get done everything that I wanted to, but at least I got something done.

Make sure you check out CraftyVegas Mom’s blog and see what else everyone got up to during their FNSI

Comments

  1. Glad your enjoying your sewing..all crafts give you a bit of a headache one way or the other , but still the enjoyment of doing it gives more pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, you are really going at the quilting! I had to do a google search to see what an Accuquilt Go was! I have always used a rotary cutter. Boy, all these fancy quilting tools that are available now!

    You are really doing a great job with your quilting! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some you tube videos about how to line your fabric up on the GO so you get the right size squares. That is, assuming your die measures correctly to begin with! I think they're by Ebony Love. One day, when my brain isn't fried from the workweek, I'm going to participate in FNSI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you could play along and have some sewing fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you got lots done. I used my go to cut my frog fabric for the drunkards path baby quilt I am making. Now to sew them together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that cutting takes a long time - your triangles are looking good. Enjoy completing the runner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to stay persistent though and not give up! My first FNSI went about the same and Friday night I was thinking of all my sewing buddies as I was digging out snow, working overtime instead of sewing. :( Next time I'll bring the chocolate and we'll have a GREAT TIME sewing :) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Init bad enough when we measure and cut wrong....and then have to deal with a machine doing wrong...cause for a few choice expletives. But in the end you have won the day! Determination will get you every where! I really like the blocks you're working on so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you got an amazing amount done in 2.5 hours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)

Popular Posts